[wp-hackers] Theme and Plugin Integration

Jeff Minard jeff at jrm.cc
Sun Apr 3 17:02:09 GMT 2005

David House wrote:
> Or we could bundle a little shell script with WordPress that installs
> a theme. It would do something like:

That would be great for anyone with an inclining of how to run shell
scripts -- or if there was a built-in/add on Theme Manager that could
execute the script. However, both those options have numerous issues.

It was brought up a while ago that each theme folder have a plugins
folder inside it, ie:

default/header.php
default/plugins/time-since.php

And that after determining what theme was being used, plugins would be
loaded from that theme's plugin folder. I personally like that option
best. Great for authors, way easier for users -- also makes "themeing"
have many more powerful options.

(It does raise the issue of plugins being loaded twice...not sure how to
best handle that. Perhaps some file reading and preg_matching of
"function xyz" or something.)

Jeff