[wp-forums] Need some advice again

Half-Elf on Tech ipstenu at halfelf.org
Fri Mar 21 15:40:59 UTC 2014

Jes,

We're not school :) We're attempting to corral the masses of people who
want support in a way that is maintainable and sustainable by a team of
100% volunteers. Some of us are compensated by our companies for this
(me, Otto, etc), and others are just totally kind and awesome (Jan,
Andrew, etc).

Because we're all volunteers, and because of WP's firm stance on "GPL or
Go Home" we have to make certain guidelines in order to keep things fair
and just. Or as much as possible. ONE of those guidelines is that
offering to pay is disruptive to the status quo, and causes an
unfairness with the free support, so we ask people not do that. Another
is that if you bought a product that's behind a paywall, you should seek
support from them because (a) you paid for it and deserve their support,
(b) it's behind a paywall and we can't see it, and (c) if we give free
support for a paid product, we're taking money from people who need it
to survive.

Now we know people make mistakes because they don't know, and that's
okay! We're trying to guide them to proper forum etiquette, and
sometimes people go "Oh, I didn't realize this forum doesn't want people
to offer to pay, maybe someone will be cool and help anyway." And that's
FINE :) In fact, I leave those alone (though I may say 'FYI, that code
is behind a paywall so I can't see it, but if you legit bought it, it
comes with support so perhaps asking them will be faster than waiting
for coincidence to strike and someone else who uses it to find this.')

Unlike school, though, you're expected to act un-childish and maturely.
If you have a question, you ask it as clearly as you can (don't worry if
it's not perfect, we know :D ), and you listen to what people ask
replying to you with. Treat them how you want to be treated (Mods, this
is for you too), and talk to them how you want to be talked to. If they
ask a question, answer it. If you think you already answered it, maybe
they're NOT actually asking the same question. It's okay to say "I don't
know." after all :)

We tolerate just about everything shy of outright abuse, and we know
we're seeing people often on the worst day of their tech lives (thank
you Gil Grissom). So we expect folks to fly off the handle when asked
something simple like "Did you try turning off the plugins?" The number
of times THAT has turned into a name-calling and harassment, I cannot
begin to count.

But. If you get mod-watched/suspended, take a break :) We'll be here
tomorrow. Come back and answer/ask questions in a friendly way. We'll
notice and unblock.

jesmioni at gmail.com wrote:
> When we go to school, teachers got to observe characters, yet tolerated and continue teaching them to their full understanding, if the offence is so serious should be given suspension for some days and call back again but not deleting,  i Jesmion have been blocked for disrupt edit, and we go to consensus, yet i was not deleted but, i can read, send textes, and adit in my talk-page untill my suspension time is due, am Jesmion

> Sent from my Nokia Phone

Mika A Epstein (aka Ipstenu)
http://ipstenu.org | http://halfelf.org