[wp-forums] For people having 3.1 Drama Llamas

Mika A Epstein ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Thu Feb 24 02:24:03 UTC 2011

A not-directed-at-one-person rant ensues.

tl;dr - 10% failure is not really that high and is about HALF average for distributed software.

Okay, ranty stuff starts!

My huge pet peeve is when people get all het up about the failure rates of WordPress or ANY software, frankly. Did you know 19% failure rate is actually pretty average for software?

Check the SquareTrade study on cellphones for an example. The iPhone has an 11% failure rate. The BlackBerry has 14% and the Treo is the worst at 21%
http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_iPhone_Study_1108.pdf

So ... 10%?  That's fucking golden in day-one. The worst problems we will have will be from the most RARELY executed code (the weird stuff breaks more often because it's used less, basically, thank you H. Hecht).

I don't say this to trivialize the problems people have. They ARE problems!  WE as a whole should fix them. But they're unavoidable.  The point isn't to remove all problems, but to mitigate them and make them have LESS of a problem. Fix THIS problem, then move on to the next.

To your point of 10% failure rate of the automatic install, and needing manual goosing, make a list of themes and plugins on that 10% and see if something THERE is the same across the board. What about PHP?  Caching?  SQL?  FTP?  Server load at the time of the install?  I can make the auto-install fail 100% of the time if I do it when my server load is above a certain point. That's not WordPress, that's my server. Etc etc.

And it's Mika with an A, not Mike :)