[wp-forums] Sticky might be needed re: Earthlink 3.0 upgrade fails

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Wed Jun 30 22:53:35 UTC 2010

I will be posting the following into the threads below, once the nightly
builds refresh in 6 minutes.

===

I have been in touch with Earthlink and have identified the following:

Earthlink runs PHP 5.0.5, at least for the affected sites and for the
testbed they provided me. We have identified a single line of code in
WordPress 3.0 that causes a fatal error in PHP 5.0.5 due to a bug that the
PHP team fixed in 5.1. It appears this bug also affects PHP 4.4.

I have committed a change for WordPress 3.0.1, to be released in July, to
ensure compatibility.

In the meantime, you may do any ONE of the following:

Option 1. Download the WordPress Beta Tester plugin, use the "Point release
nightlies" update stream, and upgrade WordPress. This will upgrade you to
WordPress 3.0.1-alpha. You can disable the plugin after you are done.

Option 2. Download the latest build for WordPress 3.0.1:
http://wordpress.org/nightly-builds/wordpress-3.0-latest.zip. You may
replace all core files (wp-includes and wp-admin) to get all changes made
for 3.0.1 so far. Or, to fix this one issue, you may also simply upload
wp-admin/includes/post.php from the downloaded package to your server.

Option 3. If you know how to apply a patch, see the "Unified Diff" link at
the bottom of http://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/15359. You could also
make this change directly to wp-admin/includes/post.php.

If you are so inclined, I would also contact Earthlink support and suggest
you wish to run PHP 5.2 or greater. Hosts generally have a greater vested
interest in upgrading their servers when users voice concern.

I would also strongly encourage upgrading to WordPress 3.0.1 when it is
released, and always ensure you are using the latest and greatest version of
WordPress.

For reference, this is the Trac ticket I handled this issue in:
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14160.

Thanks,

Nacin