[wp-forums] It was a rant

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Mon May 1 16:52:15 GMT 2006

TechGnome wrote:
> Th flip side is that a lot of the time, some people's problems with
> their theme is that is ISN'T valid, and if they would just clean it up,
> they might find their theme works after all. I realize that some people
> don't care about being valid (X)HTML, which is fine, as long as they
> understand that it's going to make debugging the theme that much harder.

I agree - it makes our job much easier. But then it's also easy to run
it through the validator and check what the errors are. It's possible to
have dozens but with no structural issues.

Just recently someone posted how to play music on their site. Perfectly
decent request. The first reply blasted them for wanting to do that.
That reply invited another in the same vein - the thread descended into
unhelpfulness. I couldn't care less if someone wants help getting
flashing rotating gifs, 16 different fonts, streaming music, flash and
their blink tags working. They are asking a question - not inviting
someone to throw scorn at them.

The forums are only as good as the next visitor. If people see that the
sites / opinions of others are being shredded then they will not post.

P.