[wp-forums] It was a rant

TechGnome tg at tannagh.com
Mon May 1 16:27:17 GMT 2006

Th flip side is that a lot of the time, some people's problems with
their theme is that is ISN'T valid, and if they would just clean it up,
they might find their theme works after all. I realize that some people
don't care about being valid (X)HTML, which is fine, as long as they
understand that it's going to make debugging the theme that much harder.

That said.... I only vaguely remember the thread, as I usually try to
stay out of the fire, but I don't think there's anything wrong with
encouraging posters to make sure that their stuff is valid, but I don't
think they should be raked over coals if they decide they don't want to.

As for fanning the flames, I don't know how many times over the last
couple of years that I've started a reply to defend myself (or some one
else) only to decide that in the end, it wasn't really going to make any
difference, and could potentially make it worse. In the end I simply
delete the reply, or I'll post it on my blog if I feel like I absolutely
HAVE to say something.

Based on my experience in another forum, I've noticed that this seems to
apply more often than not in these cases: You can lead a horse to water,
but you can't make him drink. The follow up to that is, but you could
try to push him in and see what happens.  In other words, you can't help
some one who deep inside doesn't want to be helped (despite what they
say), and so you just have to sit back and watch them sink or swim

As for the noise level, I think that comes from the fact that we don't
put up with people's crap, and aren't afraid to use that delete key of
ours, and people know it.

-tg