[wp-forums] We need to be friendly.

Roy Schestowitz wp-lowtraffic at schestowitz.com
Sat Apr 15 23:40:29 GMT 2006

___/ On Thu 13 Apr 2006 23:32:55 BST, [ Craig ] wrote : \___

> Very interesting points, Roy. I have always appreciated your contributions
> to WP in general, as I have with many others. I agree 100% that some basic
> courtesy is more than needed, and I for one have always enjoyed it when
> somebody takes a brief moment to offer a thank you for some assistance I
> provided.
>
> Many times an OP will not even return to their thread; whether that means
> they have given up or have found the solution, who is to know? But expecting
> help and not reciprocating in kind is just plain rude. I don't know how we
> could effectively compel people to do this, given the limitations of bbPress
> and the nature of support in general.
>
> All I can offer is that people who care about the project and enjoy the
> contributions that they make must take a leadership role. That means being
> friendly, remaining calm and civil, and modelling desired behaviour by
> offering thanks and words of encouragement and appreciation.

I strongly recommend the following as light reading: [smile /]

   http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

This shows you how prejudiced veterans have inevitably become in UseNet.
This happened for exactly the same reasons that you mention. Now, if only
you could expose some extra information about the posters in wp.org Forums
(profile maybe), I am sure this would be used more often as a discriminant.

> Maybe bbPress could have a karma button so that a person could click on it
> to show appreciation for someone. I dunno, that's totally off the wall, but
> regardless, the theme of this thread is an important one and speaks to the
> quality of those involved in the day-to-day goings-on dans le monde de
> WordPress.
>
> Craig.
> Nuclear Moose.

I have seen a variety of support-related CMS's (helpdesk software) where the
participants can rate the response or flag something to indicate its
'usefulness'.

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - sorry for the laggy/slow responses. I am slow while on vacation.