[wp-forums] Resolved Threads

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Mon Nov 21 23:03:00 GMT 2005

I think we do need to ponder the 'Resolved' status.

Hopefully, as Michael B has pointed out, now there are more of us who
can change things like the Resolved status, tags etc then we can start
using the information that this then generates.

There was a debate a while ago about "Is it resolved or not" type issues
and I certainly found it quite tricky to decide at times. Sometimes the
answers given were perfect but the things the OP was coming back with
made it less than clear if they actually understood. I could only hit a
number of topics though so now a greater number of threads can be seen
and changed things will alter for the better. Should we take a more
active stance, weigh up the whole thread and make a decision that way ?
We have to bear in mind that we need to look at the resolution or not
from the pov of the OP - not us. Sometimes we will get it wrong - but
then we just un-resolve it.

But then what do we do with all these resolved threads ?
Ideally, they would be weighted in a search so that they appeared
highest - but mdawaffe said that search is just about the hardest part
of coding in the forum. I certainly don't use the forum search as I use
the Firefox plugin.
So is there a point to the resolved threads ? I think there still is
given that this information is returned in any search result. It is data
that we are not making full use of - and may never do - but it's handy
at times.

A link at the top for Resolved threads maybe ..... who would use it and
why ? My thinking is that if someone cannot see or use the Search
function, will they use a Resolved threads link ?

I think your suggestion of removing Resolved threads from the front
though is excellent. If that could happen as well as the hiding of the
Beta posts ..... wonderful :)

Matt ?

P.