[wp-edu] Shibboleth on WordPress

Michael Barnard mbarnard at mtholyoke.edu
Thu Sep 1 16:56:51 UTC 2016

We're using Shibboleth with Wordpress multisite here at Mount Holyoke
College. I do have a custom fork of the plugin running, but not because of
any of the outstanding issues. We are part of a consortium with 4 other
colleges/universities and we needed a way to whitelist students from those
other colleges, as well as a handful of other exceptions. So, basically,
you're allowed into our Wordpress blog site if your account is a Mount
Holyoke account, or if you're enrolled in a class here from one of the
other 4 colleges, or if you're on a manually-maintained whitelist. The
difference between my fork of the plugin and the stock version is maybe 10
lines of code (which simply short-circuits the access check if your eppn is
contained within a particular MySQL table), so it's very easy to maintain.
If we didn't need this somewhat-specialized functionality, we could
probably get by with just the stock plugin. And there's probably some way I
could use Shibboleth itself to do this magic, but despite being my school's
Shibboleth administrator, it's still mostly a dark art to me.