[wp-edu] Higher Ed institutions using Jetpack?

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Fri Jul 20 19:58:23 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Ken Newquist <newquisk at lafayette.edu>wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Is anyone out there using the Jetpack suite of plugins?
>
> http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/jetpack/
>
> It looks like it scratches a number of social media itches (with LaTeX
> thrown in as the cherry on top), but I'm curious about how it worked for
> folks. In particular, I'm wondering how the API key scaled up. It looks as
> though you need to create a key for each site separately (unlike Akismet)
> and while that will work fine for one off sites, I expect it becomes a
> challenge in multisite environments with dozens or hundreds of web sites.

Jetpack currently requires you to connect each site individually. Copying
options won't work; it has to do with the connection made with WP.com and
data created on their side. You can use the same WP.com account, but I've
found that there's no good way to script the connections of an entire
network. I sent a note to one of the Jetpack guys to ensure they see this
thread.

Nacin