[wp-edu] WordCamp NYC: Ed Track!

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Wed Oct 28 18:14:20 UTC 2009

Hi everyone. I'm one of the organizers of WordCampNYC, to be held at
Baruch College November 14-15, and I wanted to let you all know that
we will have an Ed track at the event. It's getting the same amount of
time as the blogger and dev tracks (and the 5 other tracks... it's a
big event), and there are a couple of slots left on the program, so
thought I'd post here for some suggestions and/or volunteer speakers.

Joe Ugoretz, Luke Waltzer and Mikhail Gershovich of CUNY have been
consulting on topics, and will all be speaking in the Ed track, along
with Jim Groom (Mary Washington), Matt Gold (CUNY Academic Commons),
Jeremy Boggs and Dave Lester (GMU). Dave will be doing a live setup of
a course site with the Courseware plugin with an audience member in
need of a course site.

We're also mixing things up a bit and having some people who would
traditionally be at WordCamp Ed events present in the mainstream
tracks, to take advantage of the knowledge of the wider community and
form more connections between the Academic WP community and the
broader open source WordPress community. Casey Bisson and Boone Gorges
will be presenting in the Developer, CMS, and BuddyPress/MU tracks to
this end.

If you are in the NYC Metro area and are using WordPress in an
interesting way in an academic setting and might be interested in
presenting something, I'd love to hear from you. I'd especially love
to add a woman or two to the program, as this is the only track that
does not currently have any female speakers.

If you are from NYC or not too far away (and with the Acela, that's
really anywhere from Boston to DC, right?), I hope you'll consider
attending the event. So far only about 30 people have registered and
indicated that they are interested in the Ed track. Given that
previous WordCampEd events have pulled in 150 attendees easily, it
would great to hit that level in NYC as well. The sooner people
register, the easier it will be to assign rooms for the sessions. As a
side note, our last t-shirt order will be placed the morning of
November 4, so register before then to guarantee a t-shirt.

The event is only $40, lasts Saturday and Sunday from 9-6, includes a
long-sleeved t-shirt and lunch on Saturday. More information about the
programming of the event can be found at the web site: http://2009.newyork.wordcamp.org
. Matt Mullenweg, founder and project lead of WordPress, will be in
attendance, and we're planning a roundtable discussion on the future
of of WordPress in educational settings with him that I think will be
really great. So register! Tell your colleagues! Spread the word!

Thanks. :)
Jane Wells
Co-organizer, WordCamp NYC