[wp-edu] Feed problem--new server

Joseph Ugoretz joseph.ugoretz at mhc.cuny.edu
Tue Jan 13 02:11:40 GMT 2009

This seems like a tough one, at least to my limited skills.

We've recently moved to a new server, and got everything working right, but one strange problem with the feedwordpress plugin.

We've got about a dozen students blogging while studying abroad, and I'd like to aggregate their posts into one "Away and Abroad" blog, and it seemed like feedwordpress would be a good way to do this.

But for some reason, whenever I enter one of their feed URI's in the syndicate box I get "Error: I couldn't find any feeds at http://macaulay.cuny.edu/catalves/wp-rss2.php [HTTP request error: ]. Try another URL"  (that's a real url, as an example).  This happens whether I use http://blogURL/name/feed, or /wp-rss2.php or /wp-atom.php or /wp-rss.php no difference.

The feeds validate fine, bloglines and other aggregators can use them, even other wpmu installations can use them.

And the feedwordpress plugin on my own wpmu installation works perfectly for any feed that is *not* in my domain.  I can even take those same feeds and run them through Yahoo Pipes to create a new feed (with exactly the same content) and if I use that rss url, there's no issue--works fine.

I'm not running in php safe mode.  File permissions all seem to be fine. I don't see any obvious issues in the Apache error log.

Anyone have any other ideas for troubleshooting?  I'm thinking there must somewhere be a setting in the new server that is preventing http requests to these feeds in the same domain (same directory, in fact)? But how could that be and where would I find it to turn it off?

Any suggestions very welcome--I can go ahead and just use the Yahoo Pipes workaround, but it seems so klugey!

Thanks!

Joe
--
Joseph Ugoretz, PhD