[wp-edu] Firewalls and WordPress

Thomas W. Woodward twwoodward at henrico.k12.va.us
Tue Nov 25 13:02:30 GMT 2008

In K12, I can tell you that the fear in many cases is simply that
students may "communicate" outside of the allowed methods.  That's the
basic fear- communication, not bad information or anything else.  It's
just a simple fear that students will communicate.

Our county blocked the word blog in URLs for quite a long time despite
anything I could say.  We've loosened up a little (after years of
arguments) but there are still blocks on all the major blogging sites,
twitter, flickr etc. etc.

K12 (as a whole) fears and mistrusts its own students.  That's a
fundamental issue that has to be addressed but seems to be completely
ignored.

Tom Woodward
HCPS Staff Development
http://bionicteaching.com