[HyperDB] Replication and Failover

Callum Macdonald lists.automattic.com at callum-macdonald.com
Fri Oct 24 05:24:41 GMT 2008

G'day,

Are you perhaps over complicating things?

Is your aim to provide high availability or high performance? The system
you've described doesn't seem to achieve either as far as I can see. Is
your primary aim fault tolerance (one server fails, whole system stays
online) or high performance (spread the load between as many servers as
possible)?

Are you suggesting to run two separate instances of MySQL on each
server? One as a master and one as a slave for the other server?

If you're looking for a high performance system, I'd suggest
partitioning your data between the servers using HyperDB. No need to
over complicate things with multiple mysql instances or replication.

If you want to create a highly available, fault tolerant system, would
simple master-master replication work for you?

I'm not sure about round robin DNS as a method of spreading load. If you
only have a small number of web nodes, then you may end up with a very
uneven load spread. Also, if DNS fails, your whole db system goes down,
thereby negating the advantages of being highly available.

How will you take an entry out of the dns list if a server goes down?

In terms of spreading filesystem writes between two machines, there are
a few options. Are you running the web nodes on separate servers from
the database? Or all on the same machines?

We have a cluster of 3 web nodes which all serve files from an NFS share
which is hosted by a SAN. It works relatively well in production.

I'm not an expert in these matters by any means, but if you outline your
overall aim I'll be happy to share my thoughts. :)

Cheers - Callum.