[HyperDB] documentation?

Dan Milward dan at instinct.co.nz
Wed Feb 6 23:21:01 GMT 2008

We are using the ext3 file system which apparently supports around
32,000 files in one directory.

As we are using WordPress MU which creates multiple tables per user
(more then normal as we are using several plugins). Because each of
those tables is actually several files in the MySQL directory we have
calculated that unless MySQL does something smart like nesting of
directories to work around the problem...

...Then we will probably hit the limit of files at around 350 users. At
which point we will not be able to create files in that directory which
means no more users will be able to sign up with other possible nasty
side effects for whatever user puts it over the limit - for instance
that user might only get half tables created necessary for their
wordpress blog to run.

So what I want to know is whether or not MySQL does something smart to
work around this - and if not does a separate machine running HyperDB
sound like a good idea.

And does HyperDB work well with Super Cache 2 :))