[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #8625: Legacy widgets disappear in BuddyPress 10.0 even if the theme is using a legacy widget in a sidebar

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Feb 3 00:26:52 UTC 2022

#8625: Legacy widgets disappear in BuddyPress 10.0 even if the theme is using a
legacy widget in a sidebar
------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  r-a-y                   |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)            |      Status:  new

Comment (by r-a-y):

 > Correct me if I'm wrong: to see the issue happen, this means you are
 using the new Widgets Block Editor, otherwise BP Legacy Widgets would have
 been loaded.

 That's correct; block widgets are enabled on the site, but other legacy
 widgets still work.

 > So, if you are using the new Widgets Block Editor, you can now use the
 BP Widget Blocks we introduced in 9.0.0, simply by migrating the legacy
 ones.

 That's true but not many sites will be doing this immediately, especially
 sites without a dedicated developer or staff. It's great that we offer the
 ability to convert the older BP legacy widgets over to our newer block
 widgets though, so +1 there!

 > But I think we need to carry on the deprecation process. Please test the
 8625.02.patch to confirm you can still load the BP legacy Widgets that are
 actives.

 `02.patch` works, but I'm a little concerned with the usage of
 `error_log()`. WordPress Core doesn't use `error_log()` (apart from the
 wpdb class and some external libraries) and they are not using it to mark
 their legacy widgets as deprecated either. I think we can remove the
 `error_log()` line and follow whatever WordPress does if they ever decide
 to get rid of legacy widgets in the future.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8625#comment:4>