[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #6844: Extract & relocate core markup functions: Theme compat include functionality & search forms file

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jan 28 12:40:46 UTC 2016

#6844: Extract & relocate core markup functions:  Theme compat include
functionality & search forms file
-----------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  hnla                         |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                  |      Status:  new

Comment (by hnla):

 Ok have re-patched to your approach which fundamentally we'll take as the
 route forward, I'll update the search form for some little aspects and
 update the other index template files shortly.

 I had some reservations looking at the new patch - listed for the record
 but dismissing them generally.
 * We are tending to create more functions rather than reducing core
 functionality ( reducing cores hold on sitemarkup such as this was in part
 the exercise)
 * It's a slight sadness that we can't actually remove the original
 functions in the core template files
 * With the new functions e.g `bp_get_search_placeholder()` should we not
 be able to pass args through.

 Given that fundamentally the dev could simply work up their own
 replacement placeholder text based on component checking and run this in
 their overloaded file nullifies my concerns.

 Before going too much further I'll post a request in slack for comments
 from lead devs as to:
 * The new directory name currently `common/` - Acceptable? Alternatives?
 * The new file name currently `search-form.php` to my mind too generic,
 perhaps better as `bp-dir-search-form` or `dir-search-form` ?
 * Any overall thoughts on this re-factoring?

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6844#comment:5>