[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #4126: Allow admin to select fields to display in user "excerps" on Groups' user list page

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Apr 22 14:44:26 UTC 2016

#4126: Allow admin to select fields to display in user "excerps" on Groups' user
list page
-------------------------------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  sooskriszta                          |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  closed
Changes (by boonebgorges):

 * status:  reopened => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix
 * milestone:  Future Release =>

Comment:

 We talked about this ticket during this week's developer chat (see the
 logs linked above). A sort of consensus emerged that, while this kind of
 feature is potentially useful to many, it's at odds with our current goals
 to move the building of markup out of core files and into theme templates.
 See eg #6109, #6844. We could make a concerted effort to make more of our
 front-end appearance modifiable from the Dashboard, but this would
 necessarily mean moving more of the template logic out of the traditional
 WP theme structure.

 I am a big believer that this kind of thing would be useful to users, but
 I think that, given our current strategy, it belongs in a theme or plugin
 that is marketed as a "page builder" type of tool: a GUI for deciding
 which content appears where in the BP sections of your site. Something
 like this could be really powerful, but it needs to be done in a
 comprehensive way - not piecemeal, with a single feature like the Group
 directory - and ideally with a beautiful interface to match.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4126#comment:28>