[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress] #4086: Friends, Groups & Co are handled as 404 & nothing gets indexed by search engines

buddypress-trac at lists.automattic.com buddypress-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sun Mar 18 09:54:59 UTC 2012

#4086: Friends, Groups & Co are handled as 404 & nothing gets indexed by search
engines
--------------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  wpdennis                        |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                    |      Status:  new

Comment (by wpdennis):

 Seperating the canonical issue is a good idea, thank you.

 I've disabled all relevant plugins in my test case. But to be sure, I just
 installed a new BuddyPress test site. Every instance is running with
 WordPress 3.3.1 and BuddyPress 1.5.4.

 In the new test environment I have no additional plugins installed and
 nothing activated but BuddyPress itself. I'm using the default theme, too.

 I print out $wp_query->query_vars in a new group and it says  [attachment]
 => test :
 http://bptest.dennispietsch.de/groups/test/

 On this url it says [error] => 404 :
 http://bptest.dennispietsch.de/groups/test/home/

 I found the reason why your query_vars are looking good, too: the
 it to anything else, I get the results you described. Thanks for pointing
 me into that direction!

 > "or it would be impossible to use any BuddyPress site."

 I have a productive installation with that 404/attachment behavior. If I
 wouldn't rely on is_single() in my breadcrumb menu AND have a picture with
 the same name as one of the groups, I wouldn't have discovered this issue.
 So, it is very likely to run a BuddyPress site without recognizing this
 behavior.

 But the real "blocker" is the canonical issue. If we seperate the tickets,
 the issue described in this ticket isn't a real "blocker" anymore.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4086#comment:2>