[buddypress-dev] BuddyPress Email notifications

Andy Peatling andypeatling at automattic.com
Tue Sep 16 22:36:51 GMT 2008

On 16-Sep-08, at 3:12 PM, phlux0r wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> I'm just wondering about email notifications when someone has a
> friend request or group invite or private message etc...

Definitely, at the moment only group invites are sending out emails.
It'd be great if we could come up with some generic way to send emails/
check user email settings so any core or custom component could use it.

> Obviously BuddyPress isn't sending anything out at the moment. I
> think this is an important feature and I'm wondering when do you
> think this will be addressed?

I'm bug fixing at the moment, then I'll be working on status updates
and activity feeds. I was probably going to tackle it when I moved
back to the friends component for the next version.

It'd be awesome if you or any developers on the list could tackle some
of this. I'd imagine that the built in wp_mail() function could be
used, and email settings could be stored as usermeta.

> Also, I would love to see the emails configurable in terms of
> content and choice of Plain Text/HTML. Also, members should have
> options to enable/disable notifications on a per component basis.

I'd like to bring the back-end "Account" tab into the theme. So
introduce an "Account" menu item on the navigation. Here the user
could configure their email settings, account email/password and in
the future their privacy settings.

> Depending on my workload, I could possibly contribute some code to
> this but can't guarantee anything at the moment as I need to get my
> current project finished as soon as possible.

Any help is much appreciated, and the same goes to anyone else reading
this - just let me know what you want to work on, and I'll make sure
it's not being done already.

Cheers
Andy

---------
Andy Peatling | Social Engineer | Automattic
http://apeatling.wordpress.com