[buddypress-dev] BP, WPMU and overall domain configuration?

Barry Caplan bcaplan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 17:49:39 GMT 2008

> Okay, that's the problem. Right now BuddyPress will only work when WPMU is installed in the root

This is probably a good timer to de-lurk.

I am planning a several sites with social features, and about to test BP.

Currently, my technical options are between Drupal and WP/WPMU.

I have experience with Drupal and WP, I installed WPMU over the
weekend play with, it looks fine enough (although I wonder if users
can add their own theme, plugins, etc. Maybe, but I ran out of time,
so it is an open question to me for now).

On these sites, there will be several classes of users.

Some classes (more then one)I would like to allow to have blogs,
others not, only social networking features.

For the first site, the  blogs are more important in v1.0 than the
social stuff, so I may be able to wait for BP to mature a bit.

I had pictured a URL strucure something like this:

1 - www.domain.com - overall site install of wpmu
2 - either:
       - member.classx.domain.com
       - classx.domain.com/member
where x = (1...n) for the classes that have blogs
3 - www.domain.com/profile/member for profiles of all members, whether
they are members of classes with blogs or not
4 - ability to search across all blogs
5 - tags on blog entries that work across blogs

I am willing to write some code on 4 and maybe 5, and willing to use
mod_rewrite as needed for 1,2,3 although I hope I don't have to.

Is this the sort of thing that WPMU/BP will be able to handle?

Are there other suggrested configs that might work better for me given
the various classes of users?

Best,

Barry