[buddypress-dev] Revert back to one subdomain to include blog, friends, messages, etc.

Andy Peatling andypeatling at automattic.com
Wed Sep 10 23:49:14 GMT 2008

On 10-Sep-08, at 10:26 AM, Brian B wrote:

> Other than rolling back to a previous trunk release. Do any
> suggestions on how to revert back to the previous single sub domain
> functionality?

There's no reason why a "single blog" plugin couldn't be written to do
this, and then just remove the bp-blogs component. You'd need to re-
add the single blog support to the theme, but that is simple enough.

I don't see any reason why new and updated components shouldn't close
to work with the old way. You may need to add in a couple of
functions, but overall much the same functions are used - they just do
things a little differently now.

> The home-base concept throws a bit of a wrench into my anticipated
> use of buddypress. I had made some customization to the
> wpmu_functions.php file to auto generate some static pages, one for
> audio/video, in which I had integrated wordtube, and the other as a
> gallery which is set for using the bulletin album function of WP,
> the blog was planned to be a part of the mix as well. Having it
> under one umbrella makes it a bit easier for users to navigate and
> understand how the system works.

Inevitably the structural change was going to mess up some people's
plans, sorry about that. It had to be done though. The way it was
before just wasn't going to work in the long run, and would have cut
out a lot of potential uses.

I don't think we will see any major structural changes to the way
things work from now on. Now that the "blog vs user" problem has been
resolved it should be smooth sailing.

Andy

---------
Andy Peatling | Social Engineer | Automattic
http://apeatling.wordpress.com