[buddypress-dev] testdrivewpmu.com now running latest

phlux0r phlux0r at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 04:22:33 GMT 2008

Andy Peatling wrote:
> On 9-Sep-08, at 8:05 PM, phlux0r wrote:
>
>> I see your predicament here, fair enough. So essentially, your home
>> base is an empty blog but your actual blog is another blog you would
>> create once you're signed up.
>
> Basically, your home base does not function as a blog. From an end
> user's perspective there are no blogging features at all. The home
> base is where your profile, messages, group lists, friend lists are
> all kept. It's where other members and the public will go to view your
> details. It's your account home, a place where all your activity is
> aggregated.
Yeah, that's how I'd expect it to work too so that's great.
> I guess my immediate concerns are whether you can clearly distinguish
> the home base from the actual member blog. For my current project,
> I've made the previous Buddypress release work reasonably well so now
> I will need to see how much of my stuff will break. As long as I can
> find the member profiles and member blog(s) and retrieve profile and
> blog data, I'll be OK.
>
> There are functions to check:
>
> bp_is_home() - will return true if the current blog is the users home
> base.
> $bp['loggedin_domain'] - will always contain the URL of the users home
> base.
>
> In the admin area for the user, the users home base is indicated by a
> user icon, where as blogs have page icons. The home base admin area
> contains no blogging tabs. Any link back to an author on a blog
> comment, blog post, wire comment or anywhere on a BuddyPress install
> will link back to a users home base.
This sounds good too. However, my question was referring more to the
control you have when you're on the main site with a BP install. My main
site will have a member and blog list and site-wide tags, site wide
latest posts  etc as well as main site posts (and we will even have a
concept of external blogs which is an option we want to give our members
who already have a blog elsewhere).  So, at the moment I'm using a few
of the bp_ functions (like bp_get_field_data bp_user_full_name,
bp_core_get_userid...) to get data on my home page and main site blog
Since I want to display a user controls box as soon as someone logs into
the site. The "Me" and "You" paradigm of the BuddyPress template won't
quite work for my case but that's OK I can work around it and will
create my own templates for the BP profile, messaging etc... features.
> Now another thing that is a slight annoyance is the author profile
> data in the WP admin. Unfortunately it doesn't "sync" up with the BP
> profile data and could be confusing for the average member. Can this
> be addressed somehow?
>
> In the latest build, all references to built in WordPress profile data
> have been removed. End users have no access to these input fields or
> the ability to view the data.
Ok... I guess I'll have to see it. I will take the plunge, back
everything up and try an upgrade this week and see what I need to change
to get things working again.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all our questions here, much
appreciated!

Regards,
Robert