[buddypress-dev] testdrivewpmu.com now running latest

Andy Peatling andypeatling at automattic.com
Wed Sep 10 03:50:33 GMT 2008

On 9-Sep-08, at 8:05 PM, phlux0r wrote:

> I see your predicament here, fair enough. So essentially, your home
> base is an empty blog but your actual blog is another blog you would
> create once you're signed up.

Basically, your home base does not function as a blog. From an end
user's perspective there are no blogging features at all. The home
base is where your profile, messages, group lists, friend lists are
all kept. It's where other members and the public will go to view your
details. It's your account home, a place where all your activity is
aggregated.

> I guess my immediate concerns are whether you can clearly
> distinguish the home base from the actual member blog. For my
> current project, I've made the previous Buddypress release work
> reasonably well so now I will need to see how much of my stuff will
> break. As long as I can find the member profiles and member blog(s)
> and retrieve profile and blog data, I'll be OK.

There are functions to check:

bp_is_home() - will return true if the current blog is the users home
base.
$bp['loggedin_domain'] - will always contain the URL of the users home
base.

In the admin area for the user, the users home base is indicated by a
user icon, where as blogs have page icons. The home base admin area
contains no blogging tabs. Any link back to an author on a blog
comment, blog post, wire comment or anywhere on a BuddyPress install
will link back to a users home base.

> Now another thing that is a slight annoyance is the author profile
> data in the WP admin. Unfortunately it doesn't "sync" up with the BP
> profile data and could be confusing for the average member. Can this
> be addressed somehow?

In the latest build, all references to built in WordPress profile data
have been removed. End users have no access to these input fields or
the ability to view the data.

> Well, I hope I'm not ranting too much here but these things are
> concerns I can see come up when using BP. I'm also quite happy to
> fiddle with the code to sync the BP profile data with the WP author
> profile if that is the way to go as long as I can get some pointers
> as to what I need to do for that. This could also mean that at least
> a member list with names can be generated much more efficiently than
> now.

Take a look at the friends_get_friends_list() function (http://trac.buddypress.org/browser/trunk/bp-friends.php#L224
). For now you could modify this function to list all members
alphabetically. You'd just need to fetch all member ids, instead of
just friend ids.

Cheers
Andy