[buddypress-dev] BuddyPress Status

Andy Peatling andypeatling at automattic.com
Mon May 5 17:50:41 GMT 2008

On 1-May-08, at 10:42 PM, William wrote:

> Hi there everyone, I am not sure if this will work, anyway I am a
> student from the university of Sydney, me and my colleague is
> currently doing a independant project based on PHP, due to our time
> constraints, we started searching for existing platforms to work on
> and buddypress seems to be a very nice candidate. So my question
> here is:

Hi!

> 1) What is the current project status? Is the one listed on
> trac.buddypress.org up to date?

The current project status is that BuddyPress is in heavy development
mode right now. I've recently updated the project status in Trac.

> 2) Which functionalities is currently working or almost working?

Extended profiles and messaging are the two components that we have
completed major work on, these should be functioning well but haven't
been tested heavily yet. The groups component is quite far along, but
still lacks templating ability to display groups to the user.

> 3) With around Intermediate knowledge of PHP, how hard would it be
> to take up Word Press and BuddyPress and begin work on it? Will we
> need to spend alot of time getting acquainted with WordPress first?

You'd need fairly good knowledge of how Wordpress works to really
understand what is going on. However, what you need to know is all in
the Wordpress Codex (codex.wordpress.org) so you can always use that
as a reference. The best way to learn is to get in there and see what
is going on.

Good luck!
Andy