[buddypress-dev] Import Users?!?!?

Dave Hendler sollaires at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 03:35:06 GMT 2008

I don't have the link handy, but if you search the wpmu forums, there
are some older threads about this kind of stuff.  The primary 2
methods either require using a script that automatically posts data to
the sign-up form (though posts about this are often deleted or derided
as being only needed by spam bloggers), or hacking the wpmu core just
a little bit to allow the wpmu_create_blog() function to work more
than once in a script (I believe Vinn or Vim is a user who has posted
some patch files in the wpmu trac).

I have a very hacked together shell script along with a few changes to
the wpmu core that allows me to automatically import users in my
primary system into wpmu/bp install, however the code is very hacky
and not really production ready.  In order to add BP-specific user
data, I basically copied some code that appears in the sign-up form to
create the BP Profile fields.  I also have to do some funky stuff with
$_SERVER to make the wordpress files believe it's being run from a web
page and not a shell script.  And also make sure I'm very careful with
any local variable names since they are all in the global scope.  As I
said, really, really hacky.

The basic answer is that it's not simple (and given the tenor of
responders to questions like these in the wpmu community, never will
be simple) but it can be done.  I don't have access to my code atm,
but I could possibly post some examples of what I've done some time
next week if there is interest.

- dave

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 10:58 PM, Jed Barish <jed at deafnation.com> wrote:
> Yes, I would like to know how to do that. Lets say that I have users on wp v2.6 not wpmu then export into wpmu to create individual blog/user. Is it posssible?
>
> Jed

dave hendler
:wq