[buddypress-dev] Re: Is it working with WPMU 2.6?

Andy Peatling andypeatling at automattic.com
Wed Aug 20 00:21:48 GMT 2008

On 19-Aug-08, at 2:55 PM, phlux0r wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> thanks for the thumbs up. I just tried a brand new install of
> WPMu2.6 + BuddyPress latest download (not SVN) and I can see the
> "Profiles" link now in the Site Admin. This was not available when I
> installed BuddyPress on another Mu2.6 install which had a few blogs
> already. Not sure if the sequence of installing things matter here?
> Also, is it essential to install the BuddyPress theme for the setup
> to execute correctly (as I haven't done that for my original
> install)...

I'll chime in a little here. Almost all the development so far has
gone on the notion of people using it on a fresh installation of MU.

I know there are a lot of people out there who want to drop BuddyPress
into an existing blog network (of course this will be of the features
of BuddyPress).

Now seems to be a good time to start going back over what has been
done and put the parts in place that will let BuddyPress start to
support existing installs. I'll be looking at this over the next
couple of weeks (I'm on vacation next week), then moving onto the next
components.

Specific things that will be looked at:

   - Supporting existing themes - stopping the 404's when template
files don't exist. The back end functionality tabs will need to be re-
enabled for this. Currently it's the default theme or nothing.

   - Writing code to assign a subdomain or subfolder as your "home
base" and all others as blogs you belong to. This should solve the
user-vs-blog centric problem.

   - Making sure that BP template tags can be used on any template
file, under any page slug. Right now profile information can only be
rendered under domain.com/user/profile for example. This won't work
for a lot of people. Sollaires opened a ticket for this exact problem
recently with a potential fix - http://trac.buddypress.org/ticket/55

Does anyone have any comments on any of this?

Cheers,
Andy

---------
Andy Peatling | Social Engineer | Automattic
http://apeatling.wordpress.com