[buddypress-dev] Push the Envelope

Andy Peatling andypeatling at automattic.com
Mon Apr 21 16:01:52 GMT 2008

On 14-Apr-08, at 9:37 PM, Jason Spencer wrote:

> I have a question. I am in contact with a developer out of Italy who
> has developed a single one way sign on script for joomla to
> wordpress mu that works fantastic out of the box. This would be a
> killer integration opportunity for everyone involved.
>
> I am also developing a web site with wordpress mu right now and
> would be willing to open up my project to a few of you to kick
> around and test out your scripts on my alpha web site or on another
> version of this alpha web site to experiment with. In other words, I
> have a shared hosting account with a static IP and i am willing to
> let you guys develop on it in the spirit of open source to test out
> our applications and to see what we can do to further bond the two
> platforms closer together. I would only do this with someone who was
> actually on the buddy press team because of the security risks.  I
> hope that I haven't committed heresy but a buddy press wordpress mu
> integration would seriously blow out the stupid 3rd party outsourced
> white label applications and give more freedom to people that wanted
> to grow their own targeted social networking communities because
> joomla has several scripts for video and audio sharing.

Hi Jason. Thanks for letting us know about this. Although direct
integration between Joomla and Wordpress MU would be great, I would
personally prefer to take an open approach. By using standards like
OpenID we can allow multiple applications to be accessed by using a
single login identity. That way we don't have to write custom code to
support the wide array of applications people use in their day-to-day
lives. What are people's opinions on this?

Thanks,
Andy