[buddypress-dev] Portable friends -> activity feed?

Chris Taylor - stillbreathing.co.uk chris at stillbreathing.co.uk
Sun Apr 6 20:29:37 GMT 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Wessel van Rensburg wrote:
> Is what your talking about not the personalized activity feed we referred to
> earlier? Personalized in that its based on what your friends are doing on
> BuddyPress?

Sort of, however the friends system *could* have some more advanced
features. What those are I'm not sure, but they could include
comparing data between user and friend.

I've clarified the list below:

>  - Includes the current status of each friend when it changes
Absolutely, I would say this is the most important thing

>  - Includes a link to the latest post from each friend when a post is made
Yep, very important

>  - Show what topics your friends have been posting on (do you mean tags or
> categories?)
Sorry, I should have made this clear. I meant what forum topics (for
example in bbPress) they were writing in

>  - Includes links to recently-added photos from friends when these photos
> are added to a gallery
Yes, definitely. Being able to show a thumbnail would be great as well.

>  - Compare favourites etc. with friends (not sure how this would work)
This would be a VERY clever system to do this. I think for the initial
version of BuddyPress this just isn't going to happen.

> - Include links to bookmarks of friends when these are added.
Yes, great idea. That is a sort of del.icio.us type feature, I suppose.

> - Include links to a comment of a friend when they do comment.
If you mean when a friend comments on someone else's blog then that's
very, very tricky. There might be a way to do it but my mind currently
can't figure it out.

> Something like that. If its not like a news feed and it just shows the
> latest post/ picture by friends regardless of how long ago it was made, it
> looses some of its magic don't you think?

Yes, I agree. Maybe showing updates from the last few days would be
enough. Perhaps the user could even set how far back they want to see
by default, to handle the different number of times different users
might log in per week. Of course archives would be good as well, so
people can catch up after being offline for a while, for example.

Thanks for these good ideas. Wessel, are you a developer? Do you have
some time to help with BuddyPress?

Chris