[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #33517: Wishlist Member levels create 2 shortcodes for each membership Level. 200+ levels crash wp-includes/formatting.php, killing the site.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Aug 23 06:44:48 UTC 2015

#33517: Wishlist Member levels create 2 shortcodes for each membership Level. 200+
levels crash wp-includes/formatting.php, killing the site.
 Reporter:  thepolishlad  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Shortcodes    |    Version:  4.3
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 I have a Wishlist Member Site with a massive number of levels. Things were
 fine until I hit around 250 levels created. The the site started having
 all kinds of issues, with the nav menu in wp-admin not looking right and
 none of the pages looking right. Restoring to a previous backup brought me
 down to 200 levels, but I still had the problem.

 I did all sorts of troubleshooting, and narrowed it down to Wishlist being
 the plugin causing the site to go wonky. I dug into the error_log and
 found this PHP error:
 [23-Aug-2015 06:28:17 UTC] PHP Warning:  preg_split(): Compilation failed:
 regular expression is too large at offset 33167 in
 /home/myhomedirectory/public_html/notmyrealwebsite.com/wp-
 includes/formatting.php on line 255

 After hours of research, I came across this thread:
 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31172837/regular-expression-is-too-
 large-error-in-php

 I am going to continue to need to create Wishlist Member Levels, and it
 seems that Wishlist Member creates at least 2 shortcodes for each level.
 Can this regex bug get fixed?

 Thanks, happy to answer any questions.