[wp-testers] Fatal error, call to a member function on a non-object in wp-includes/query.php

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Thu Nov 25 16:51:16 UTC 2010

Hello wp-testers -

I'll start with a known issue that many of you are likely going to see:
Fatal error: Call to a member function is_page() on a non-object in
/wp-includes/query.php

is_page() may be any conditional tag from
http://codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Tags.

Here's the issue: A theme or plugin is doing something wrong. Some code is
checking the value of a conditional tag before we actually set up the Query,
which means they don't work yet.

In 3.0, they silently failed and always returned false. In 3.1 Beta 1, this
is throwing a fatal error.

Please use this opportunity to fix your plugin or theme, or report this
issue to the plugin or theme's author.

We intend to properly suppress these errors in the final WordPress 3.1
release. We feel that leaving these in for as long as possible is an
opportunity for many plugins and themes to fix broken code.

Related Trac ticket: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14729.

Thanks,
Nacin