[wp-testers] is this an error in codex, 3.0 beta, or my coding error?

Matt Martz matt at sivel.net
Sun May 23 18:56:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Danny G Smith <dgs at riskiii.com> wrote:
> More information:
>
> I have now tried this with a clean install from svn trunk, and putting it in twenty-ten funtions.php, and still get the error. I tried it in the 2.9.* branch and get an error there as well.  Like I say, it came from the codex, almost verbatim, so I don't think it is something I did,  unless I need to include something that I don't know about.
>

>> This is not verbatim, from the codex, page http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/wp_list_pages but very close to what I added to the functions.php file:
>>

>> $parent = 19;
>> $myArgs=array(
>>  'child_of' => $parent
>> );
>> $pages = get_pages($myArgs);
>> if ($pages) {
>>  $pageids = array();
>>  foreach ($pages as $page) {
>>    $pageids[] = $page->ID;
>>  }
>> }
>>
>> echo "<pre>";
>> print_r ($pageids);
>> echo "</pre>";
>>
>> It prints out the array ok, but I get the following error.
>>
>> Catchable fatal error: Object of class stdClass could not be converted to string in /var/www/mockup/htdocs/wp-includes/classes.php on line 277

The problem is with this line:

>>  foreach ($pages as $page) {

What is happening is that you are overwriting the global $page var
with an object with what should be a string.

Change $page to something like $mypage and you will be good.  There
are numerous global vars from the global scope that can be overwritten
which will cause such issues.  Also stay away from $post, $p, etc...

--
Matt Martz
matt at sivel.net
http://sivel.net/