[wp-testers] thumbnail settings

Dan Milward dan at instinct.co.nz
Mon May 17 05:28:36 UTC 2010

Hey Guys,

I'm working on some WordPress 3.0 Media stuff at the moment and need
some advice.

Lets say I make a page. Add 10 images. Now when I open a Gallery, choose
an image and then subsequently click Edit Image, there is this new
little Thumbnail Settings box over on the right - but it doesn't seem to
do anything (ok I haven't tried using it in anything but Chrome yet).

When I drag a selection over the main image on the left then presumably
the thumbnail image on the right hand side should change to reflect
whatever is in between your crop marks back over on the left. And thus
it should kind of work like thumbnail settings in Facebook right? Just
for that one image right.

So is this something being worked on now for 3.0? Perhaps if there is an
open ticket for this we could look at it since I want this functionality.

Also. I work a lot on this kind of thing and I think that the wording of
the options underneath the words "Apply changes to:" should be changed,
preferably the first option should be "Thunbnail. In fact I've never
ever come across a situation where you might want to crop "All image
sizes".

Right I know what you're thinking (maybe), I'm guessing that this option
means hey lets crop and scale the big picture too so its the same but
bigger - but its not really clear thats what you mean when the option is
under Thumbnail Settings.

Maybe the words "All images sizes" should be changed to something like
"Main Image" or "Big Picture too". Urghhh its too late to be writing and
I'm not thinking particularly straight - I'm just trying to illustrate
how there may be a little potential confusion for some people.

I know you're out there Mr Word man!! Make it better :)

Thanks guys!!

Best,
Dan