[wp-testers] Child themes not allowed on wordpress.org

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Mon Jun 7 20:38:32 UTC 2010

On 7 Jun 2010, at 18:14, Bruce Wampler wrote:

> I tried to submit (stupidly, I suppose) my Twenty Ten child theme to the standard WP org themes site, and it couldn't get past the first stage. I sent a support question, and got this response:
>

> WordPress Themes wrote:
>> Right now the theme directory doesn't support child themes.  This is
>> something that we've talked about off and on and will likely be
>> enabling in the future.
>
> A lot of the talk about Twenty Ten is about how easy it is to build child themes for it (and it is!), so one hopes "the future" is as soon as WP 3 is released!
>
> But this kind of stuff really is part of the over all beta test, I think - the themes group has to be ready for new child themes for Twenty Ten.

Its really great that you have created this theme and the community does appreciate your work!

The problem is at the moment that the infrastructure to support child themes through the theme directory and built-in theme installer isn't there yet.

We need to get the theme-installer to auto-install the parent and handle updates of both successfully for it to work well.

I've created a ticket in trac for this.

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/13774
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5