[wp-testers] Can't Add Custom Field

Chris Jean gaarai at gaarai.com
Tue Oct 27 21:28:27 UTC 2009

I don't know why you are experiencing the problem since I can't
duplicate it, but this might help you along.

There are two conditions when this occurs (you can find both in
wp-admin/admin-ajax.php). Both of these conditions result from a failure
of the function add_meta.

If I were you, I'd dig around in the add_meta function (found in
wp-admin/includes/post.php). I'd add a bunch of error_log statements to
dump out exactly what all the variables contain to see where the failure
point is. Specifically, I'd start by dumping the contents of the
$metavalue variable and the prepared insert statement.

However, just to ensure it's not just a file problem, have you
downloaded fresh code from wp.org and replaced all the wp-admin and
wp-include files?

Chris Jean
http://gaarai.com/
@chrisjean