[wp-testers] Can't Add Custom Field

Nathan Rice ncrice at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 21:18:41 UTC 2009

Hey guys, quick question that you might be able to answer. I haven't been
able to find an answer to this anywhere else, so...

I'm trying to add custom fields to new posts. When I choose the key and
enter the value and click "Add Custom Field", I get this error:

"Please provide a custom field value."

I did. But to double check, I do it again, providing a cf value. Same error.

Running WP 2.8.5.

This started happening right after a server migration, so just to be extra
careful, I've repaired and optimized all my tables from PHPMyAdmin, still no
luck.

FWIW, I tried using a plugin that saves custom field values during the post
save process and they fail too (All in one SEO pack, for example) so it
seems that the add_post_meta() function is what is failing.

Also of interest, updating custom fields seems to work fine. I can change
existing custom field values all day long. Which seems to indicate that
update_post_meta() is working just fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!