[wp-testers] 2.9-beta-1 is available

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Nov 17 14:51:42 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Gene Steinberg <gene at technightowl.com> wrote:
> There is, as yet, no listing for WP 2.9, no link at all. That WAS my original point, and one that still isn't being addressed by several messages containing misdirection but nothing relevant.
>
> It's not a question of whether the compatibility is determined automatically or by direct contributions. Where is it?
>
> If you're seeing something that isn't showing up here, let me know.
>
> Peace,
> Gene

Gene,

There's no way to test compatibility automatically. Provably
impossible. All WordPress could possibly test on an automated basis is
that it loads and doesn't cause a fatal error (WordPress itself does
that on plugin activation).

Real "compatibility" is only determined by usage. Does the plugin do
what it's supposed to? Which features are broken? But this is a
judgment call, not something you can automate.

Compatibility is therefore determined by users testing it. The Extend
pages have that box on there to let people say whether it's compatible
with new releases. There's no "2.9" listed because WordPress 2.9 does
not exist yet. This is a BETA release. Things are expected to not
work. Having people report plugin compatibility on those pages with
beta releases is unfair to the plugin authors. If you find
incompatibilities in a Beta release, you should be either contacting
the plugin author about it, or finding a new plugin to replace that
one you're using.

Anyway, if you want to test your plugins early, go ahead. If not,
don't. And if you're unhappy with that, then don't upgrade until other
people test the plugins for you. Or hire somebody. Or just don't
upgrade.
These are your choices.

-Otto
Sent from Memphis, TN, United States