[wp-testers] Absolute URLs hard-coded on database

Tom Klingenberg tklingenberg at lastflood.net
Wed Mar 18 16:01:54 GMT 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:23:49 +0100, Leo germani <leogermani at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is there anybody out there who is also unhappy with

Yes, many, many, (many, many) users are unhappy about it.

> this and is there any
> effort to get rid of this? Id love to help on this refactor...

Ask the core devs. I see many points realted to this and would love to see
them solved:

1.) Domain-Handling: Wordpress should auto-detect the domain (drupal does
this quite well). For the circumstances this does not work out, it could
be overridden with an option.

2.) Links in Posts: Links to Images and/or Attachments of a Post
(WordPress-Internal Links) do not work out very well. Links should be
relative to the Blobs installation base.

For 2.) I think the major Problem is to get this working right with the
WYSIWYG Editor. For the Output on the Frontend, it should be no problem. I
think the Major thing is for the Editor in the Backend here. The Editor
must support to transpose Links to Images while provide it editable. No
Idea if the JS-Editors pplz. have solved such a thing or not.

The workaround so far is to search and replace the adresses inside the
data when moving to another server. Anyway, Drupal has not solved the
Staging Issues (dev -> test -> live) completely as well.

-- Tom