[wp-testers] Absolute URLs hard-coded on database

Tom Klingenberg tklingenberg at lastflood.net
Wed Mar 18 15:53:47 GMT 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:23:45 +0100, Paul Robinson
<pablorobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe the hardcoded attachments are just incase your post gets
> harvested
> by one of those bot things so that attachment links still link back to
> your
> site correctly. As for any other reasons I'm stumped & I agree it's a
> pain
> in the backside moving from test to production. I always used a find &
> replace SQL query to do it.
> Paul.

Whatever reason it _was_ that it is hardcoded into the data, there are far
better reasons to not do it. Instead of creating very many, many
(incompatible) workarounds, let's just work around the some issues that
might appear when having the domain _not_ in the data.

I would strongly argue that Bots are able to link as well as a Browser
does.

-- Tom