[wp-testers] HTML "code" tag in the Visual Editor?

Rick Beckman rick.beckman at gmail.com
Sun May 4 23:44:03 GMT 2008

Editing core code isn't exactly an ideal solution -- I've seen tutorials on
how to get all sorts of stuff added to TinyMCE by hacking it, but the next
time I upgrade WordPress, well, if I don't remember what edits I made to
which installations, I'm in for some difficulties which would be avoided
through the use of a plugin (or an addition to Core).

And while CSS on a SPAN may allow for richer style options than on STRONG,
EM, CODE, and the others, is it possible to duplicate the semantic meaning?
A CODE tag on my phone shows up as CODE; a STRONG tag in a text-reader is
strongly emphasized... A styled span on my phone shows up as normal text,
and facilitating any sort of vocal style for speech readers would then
require an entire aural style sheet to replicate any and all styles implicit
in the phrase tags themselves.

If (X)HTML already allows for a CODE tag, why recreate the wheel by making
use of even less semantic SPAN tags which convey absolutely no structural
value whatsoever and are thus meaningless if style sheets are unavailable.

--
Rick Beckman

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Andrew Ozz <admin at laptoptips.ca> wrote:

> Rick Beckman wrote:
>
> > The lack of being able to use the CODE tag is a big omission. (The lack
> > of
> > being able to easily create Definition Lists [DL, DT, and DD tags] in
> > TinyMCE is another omission I'm not at all happy about...
> >

> Not exactly. It's just not enabled by default. If you need to use <code>,
>
> 'theme_advanced_blockformats' =>
> 'p,pre,code,dt,dd,samp,h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6',
>
> More info:
>
> http://wiki.moxiecode.com/index.php/TinyMCE:Configuration/theme_advanced_blockformats
>
> It seems use of "phrase" tags is not recommended, although they are not
> deprecated. The same text effects can be achieved by basic css in a more
> consistent way.
> http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_phrase_elements.asp
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#h-9.2.1

Rick Beckman