[wp-testers] 2.5 roadmap... admin design

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Tue Feb 12 02:53:49 GMT 2008

Dan Milward wrote:
> I was just reading this: http://boren.nu/archives/2008/02/11/25-roadmap/
>
> I for one only have one gripe with the new admin menu; I cannot
> believe how much scrolling I have to do to access all the advanced
> options at the bottom of the edit page / post pages.
>
> Before you tell me its not a finished product though. Hear me out...
>
> Obviously a lot of people are excited about the new admin design which
> is great. However I have read a lot of comments about the design and I
> suspect that the answer might be the same a lot of the time .. "its
> not finished yet"
>
> So maybe it would make sense to post the actual finished jpg designs
> someplace.   This would potentially stop a lot of emails from
> concerned friends coming in during the remainder of the development
> phase? Ahh just a thought anyway :P
>
> - dan
Well, if you really do think about it, you'll only access those options
once or twice and then be done with them. I also thought it would be a
"big deal" myself, but after contemplating and using the new system for
while, I really don't think it is as much an inconvenience as you and
others are stating. I think the argument should be why you would have so
many options that you'll almost never use in the way of content that
really matters.

I really don't think it is as much punishment to scroll down a little
bit to access something that I'll only have to a few times. Having the
save and publish buttons static is a much better improvement. For all
the haterz, I think that once they get use to it, they'll be loverz and
wonder why it wasn't done the way in the new design sooner.

--

Jacob Santos

http://www.santosj.name - blog
http://funcdoc.wordpress.com - WordPress Documentation Blog/Guide Licensed under GPLv2

Also known as darkdragon and santosj on WP trac.