[wp-testers] Change in wp_list_categories?

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Mon Dec 22 21:58:19 GMT 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Jennifer Hodgdon
<yahgrp at poplarware.com> wrote:
> Stephen Rider wrote:
>>
>> This type of thing is an unfortunate tendency with WP upgrades.  I firmly
>> believe that the WordPress community should be much more careful of changing
>> the output of existing functions unless there is a specific, compelling
>> reason to change such.  The main victims of these types of things are theme
>> and plugin designers (not to mention end users of those themes and
>> plugins....)
>
> No kidding. It wasn't a problem for me -- I obviously have "some"
> familiarity with my theme and WP in general (do this for a living, etc.),
> and it took me all of 3 minutes to find and fix the problem. But I can just
> imagine some poor WP user...

Such changes are almost never on purpose.  In this case, I think the
old behavior worked by accident and the change was the result of
fixing something else.

wp_list_pages() uses exclude_tree to exclude a page and its children.
Perhaps we can add that for categories and have consistent arguments
for cats and pages.