[wp-testers] Two questions about wp-config.php

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Mon Dec 8 11:51:58 GMT 2008

While I am on the subject on the subject of salting values (see

1) Couldn't http://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/x.x/ be used to
automatically fill-in the unique phrases, instead of letting the use
open the file, copy/paste, and start the install.
(maybe it's already the case...)
WP has a superb installer that takes care of most things with a web
interface, and these salting values are the only things that still
require manually changing wp-config.php. It's an API, it should be
machine-to-machine, not machine-to-human-to-copy-paste-in-file :)

---

2) While translating setup-config.php yesterday for the fr_FR /dist, I
re-stumbled on a piece of code, and therefore remembered an old
question of mine:
http://trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-admin/setup-config.php#L160
Obviously, this code replaces the "putyourdbnamehere" & co values with
the entries indicated by the user in the setup interface, by way of a
simple regex'ing (well, string replacement...).

Thing is, in fr_FR we do translate these "putyourdbnamehere" & co
values in our own /dist/wp-config-sample.php (i.e. "putyourdbnamehere"
becomes "votre-nom-de-bdd"), for obvious reasons: making it
understandable by francophones who have to read & fill the doc (we
also translate the whole phpDoc text, for the same reasons).

As I understand it, if one translator was to translate
"putyourdbnamehere" & co, he should also translate them exactly in
setup-config.php, or else the setup code would fail, right?

So, the question: would'nt it be safer to have the string replacement
be on another target than the original English text, instead of
risking making it all break just by lack of awareness of the whole
process? "DB_NAME" and friends seem excellent candidate, with the code
replacing the whole line instead of just the value itself. That would
require real-deal regexp, but it's no unheard-of in these parts,
right? :)

--
Xavier Borderie