[wp-testers] Two questions about wp-config.php

Stefano Aglietti steagl4ml at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 15:13:13 GMT 2008

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 12:51:58 +0100, "Xavier Borderie"
<xavier at borderie.net> wrote:

>1) Couldn't http://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/x.x/ be used to
>automatically fill-in the unique phrases, instead of letting the use
>open the file, copy/paste, and start the install.
>(maybe it's already the case...)
>WP has a superb installer that takes care of most things with a web
>interface, and these salting values are the only things that still
>require manually changing wp-config.php. It's an API, it should be
>machine-to-machine, not machine-to-human-to-copy-paste-in-file :)

+100 great idea, tha interactive guided installation should get this
keys automatically, a warning these keys are not setted should appear
in some place on the dashboard, not sure what sections...

>2) While translating setup-config.php yesterday for the fr_FR /dist, I
>re-stumbled on a piece of code, and therefore remembered an old
>question of mine:

>So, the question: would'nt it be safer to have the string replacement
>be on another target than the original English text, instead of
>risking making it all break just by lack of awareness of the whole
>process? "DB_NAME" and friends seem excellent candidate, with the code
>replacing the whole line instead of just the value itself. That would
>require real-deal regexp, but it's no unheard-of in these parts,
>right? :)

+1 to this too... I suppose both won't appear on 2.7 but are good
candidates for 2.7.1... or very at least for 2.8.

Email: steve at 40annibuttati.it steagl at people.it