[wp-testers] IE 7.0 & 2.7 Admin-bit of a mess

Kirk M kmb42vt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 15:10:07 GMT 2008

I just logged into my Admin (yesterday's "stay updated" build) using IE
7.0 just out of curiosity and noticed a couple of things right off the
bat. (Firefox 3.0.4 is my main browser.)

1. The menus were expanded to the right when I logged in--ok so far. I
expanded the Media menu downward and then the Settings menu. At that
point, the combination of half the settings menu and most of the Media
menu suddenly overlapped the rest of the menus rendering the entire menu
column useless. I had to reload the page to get things straightened out.
The menus operated normally after that.

2. No green background for activated plugins. Background remains white.
I would say that's going to be confusing for more than a few users.

I checked with a friend of mine who is also running 2.7 almost to see if
they saw the same thing and they also verified that the 2.7 Admin was
having a lot of problems when she logged in with IE 7.0. Some are
constant like the lack of green background for plugins and others more
random as in the menu problem.

I then logged into the same Admin using IE 8.0 beta 2 in the default
"Standards" mode and the 2.7 Admin UI worked fine. Shifting to
"Compatibility" mode however, (IE 7.0 emulation) gave the same results
as seen when using the original IE 7.0 browser.

It's too bad you can't just haul out your firearm and shoot a browser.
That would end Internet Explorer and all it's non-standard BS once and
for all.