[wp-testers] 2.5: Custom Fields and Listing Stuff

Shelly at Foolish Visions shelly at foolishvisions.com
Fri Apr 4 16:42:51 GMT 2008

 >>a) Make sure that all the WP files from 2.1 are completely removed
when you upgrade to 2.5 (wipe out the root-level files except
wp_config.php, and everything in wp-admin and wp-includes, then
re-install 2.5). <<

I didn't upgrade, I just backed up the posts/pages from the database and
put them into a clean install of WP 2.5.  (All I wanted was the content).

 >>b) Is it possible some plugin you are using, or some custom code in
the theme's functions.php file, is screwing these things up? Try
disabling plugins and see if you can get things to work, and/or
switching to the default/classic theme.<<

Already tried that - it's always the first thing I do - deactivate all
plugins, revert to default.

 >>c) On the custom fields problem, can you create a new custom field on
an existing post/page in 2.5, with a completely new key, or is it just
the existing key that is causing the problems? <<

Tried that too - no.  Any attempt at putting in key/value paris results
in the "default" put into the database.  It's connecting, and adding as
it should, it's just not putting in what I want it to.

 >>d) If all else fails, maybe you can post the exact code you are
trying to use with wp_list_pages and wp_list_categories that isn't
working; maybe it has an error of some kind. <<

I can't imagine thats' the problem, since I haven't even gotten to that
point yet.  See, the sidebar is a custom configuration, called in by a
function I wrote.  It doesn't even use the list pages/categories stuff.
  (Which was the point of testing - I *knew* that the custom function
would break, because it relies on database calls to tables that don't
exist anymore).  So the first thing I did was remove the functions.php
file so that I could work on the rest of the theme files first.  but the
custom sidebar is based on custom fields that are placed in Pages and
posts (to determine if the should show up in the sidebar links) - and
the custom fields aren't working at all.

So I tried using wp_list_pages and wp_list_categories, but of course it
lists them all.  So then I tried using "include" - I figured a
workaround would to just include the Pages and Categories I wanted - but
Include doesn't work anymore (neither does "exclude").  The code I'm
using is relatively simple (I'll add surrounding code so you can see -
I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary):

<ul id="navigation">
<?php wp_list_pages('title_li=&include=2,4');?>
<?php wp_list_categories('title_li=&include=7');?>
</ul>

Changing "include" to "exclude" has the same effect - it's basically
ignored.

Thanks for the response :)

~Shelly