[wp-testers] Don't Kill the Messenger

wp-tester at spamex.com wp-tester at spamex.com
Thu Sep 27 10:40:12 GMT 2007

On Sep 27, 2007, at 2:42 AM, wp-testers-request at lists.automattic.com
wrote:

> While WordPress attempted to gather a list of plugins and their
> compatibility with WordPress 2.3, it would have been impossible to
> gather a
> complete list. I also don't really agree with Event Calendar 3
> being one of
> the most popular plugins out there.
>
> The responsibility of testing for compatibility lied mainly with
> the plugin
> authors, and as such it is not the responsibility of WordPress to
> ensure
> that *every single* plugin works or is updated. They did their
> best, and it
> has been recommended for a while that plugins didn't use SQL
> directly, in
> favor of the API functions, so as to avert situations exactly like
> this.
>
> I would recommend checking in with the plugin author.

Well, I'm sure he'll be hearing plenty. He's already heard from me on
other issues.

The simple fact of the matter is that the WP people left these tables
in there until the last minute, thus masking the problem.

If there appears to be no problem, it will not get fixed. I would
have gladly addressed this earlier if I had known it would be a problem.

I applied nearly a textbook test cycle. I have a site under
development, using a minimal number of plugins, carefully chosen to
enhance synergy. I have written a number of heavy-duty plugins and
themes that DO NOT access the database directly. I applied nightly
builds; exactly as prescribed.

Yet, at the VERY LAST RELEASE, the system suddenly went pear-shaped.

It is disingenuous to suggest that it's my fault because I give you
news you don't want to hear. I patched the problem, as I said,
because I follow good best practices. I'm a professional software
engineer with well over 20 years of heavy-duty softdev experience. WP
is an excellent system, developed with professional standards, which
is a chief reason I selected it to use for this site. This was a
mistake, and it may not affect many people, but it was a mistake in
process nonetheless.

I fully realize that the site I'm developing (http://
longislandna.org) "pushes the envelope," and is not a standard WP
workflow, so I have been prepared from the start to encounter issues
where there might be mismatches.

I'm a pro geek. I'll make it work. I'm working double-time to avoid
hacking the core. The site is an extreme makeover of WP, but it
follows the rules to the T. I have been able to immediately apply
nightly builds to it because I have kept all the mods inside the API
and the wp-content folder (including a complete reroute for mobile
content, which is being developed now).

This was a boo-boo, and it wasn't mine. It's not a devastating one,
and I'm not hitting the alarm klaxon. It's an open source project
that gives me a very powerful and useful system for free. I very much
appreciate that, and I am working the system exactly as prescribed. I
have no problem with workarounds.

Chris