[wp-testers] Re: Tagging the RC and betas?

Christian Höltje docwhat at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 05:42:21 GMT 2007

* Lloyd Budd (lloydomattic at gmail.com) [070924 01:33]:
> On 9/23/07, Christian Höltje <docwhat at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It would be really handy to tag the RC and/or beta branches in SVN?
> >
> > Especially in light of the preparing for 2.3 article that recommends
> > using SVN to track the latest wordpress versions...
>
> Interesting idea. We have only ever tagged releases, and maybe that is
> a good thing, because the list of tags would really start to grow than
> and the benefits aren't that great.

Well, you can do this two ways:
1) You can create a branch for new versions, e.g. beta-2.3 or
   something.
2) You can create tags, but delete them after they expire.  Example:
   2.3-beta1 would be deleted when 2.3-beta2 comes out.

After all, beta1, beta2, rc1, etc. are all announced releases, even if
they aren't stable or final releases.

If you want, you could create a dangerous-tags directory for these
things and just delete the tags out after a release.

This sort of tagging, branching is cheap in SVN.  We might as well
make use of it, especially if it'll encourage developer level admins
to help test the new code. (like me!)

At the moment, I'm running a beta sandbox with the trunk, but I'd much
rather not have to worry about the trunk moving out from under me
unexpectedly and advancing *past* the final 2.3 code.

Ciao!

--
"You know, if you shoot me, you're liable to lose a lot of those
humanitarian awards."

The Doctor What: Ebullient                       http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat *at* gerf *dot* org                                        KF6VNC