[wp-testers] 2.3 and loooooong running queries

Handy handy.solo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 04:41:01 GMT 2007

On 10/4/07, Lloyd Budd <lloydomattic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/4/07, Handy <handy.solo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thought I had it narrowed down to a plugin.  I was wrong.  After a 36
> hour
> > reprieve, the issue returned.
> >
> > I'm now running Default theme and very few plugins.  Any thoughts on how
> > proceed?
> >
> > Of course, it would wait to start up again after I had a nice
> "StumbleUpon"
> > burst going...
>
> Are you seeing query strings with tag intersection? There is a patch
> on ticket in this thread, and it has been checked in to the 2.3 branch
> and trunk, but I think the first step is figuring who is constructing
> those queries and why.

Lloyd, I swear, I'd probably hug you if you were here.

Look at this log entry:

65.55.209.75 - - [04/Oct/2007:17:56:14 -0700] "GET
/blog/tag/UBUNTU%20How%20To:%20Make%20your%20fonts%20smooth%20enough%20to%20drool%20over./page/2/
HTTP/1.0" 200 955 "-" "msnbot/1.0 (+http://search.msn.com/msnbot.htm)"

Pumping that into my browser does indeed cause the query from hell.  I had
to kill it off.

So!

A) WTF mate? (sorry, had to get that out of my system)

B) why is "msnbot" hitting me like that?  Those arguments aren't even tags!
With the '/tag/' portion in there, surely it isn't a search string?

C) Ignoring B, why is that query causing all subsequent queries to go into a
"locked" state? That's really the crux of the matter.  The query that
results from that hit clobbers my database and runs forever, blocking all
other queries.  Theme/plugin be darned!