[wp-testers] Conflict management. Was: About DB Backup

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Tue Sep 26 20:39:14 GMT 2006

Brian Layman wrote:
> It seems like most of this matter could have been addressed off list
> initially rather than through public demand for Matt to justify his actions.
> Matt could have contacted Skippy ahead of time, just as a courtesy too, but
> hind site is always perfect.
>
> Issues like this WILL occur again, I've no doubt.  So, when an issue like
> this comes up, it seems better to contact the person directly rather than
> publicly challenging them and the morals they rode in on.  You might even
> get a better explanation why things were done. Then if you don't like the
> reasoning, no-one would fault you for taking it to the group and asking for
> opinions there.
>
> To look at the current example, if that were to have been done here, Robert
> would have quickly pointed out keeping the plugin in the distribution would
> be a good way to update those people who haven't done so yet and then the
> plugin would, likely, have stayed in, Skippy would still have it as a credit
> to his name and everybody on the list would be a bit less pissed right now.

Folks need to keep in mind that this is trunk development.  Things come
and go.  Experiments are going on.  A commit is often made just to get
the ball rolling.  This discussion is part of the process.  Nothing has
been done that can't be undone.  Notice that this didn't go into the
upcoming 2.0.5.  That's because it's not trunk.  Now let's chill and
discuss this as if Matt doesn't put puppies in blenders.

Ryan